Grilled Greek Chicken Gyro and Tzatziki Sauce


I seriously LOVE Greek food. Give me a gyro over a burger any day! Or something like this will do, too.

Ever since I watched Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants almost 10 years ago (what??), I have been dying to go to Greece. The views are unreal and the culture is so intriguing to me. And if the food is anything like it is here in the States (or better I'm sure) I'm all for it. One day...

Anywho, this idea of GRILLED Greek chicken is amazing and the tzatziki is great as well.
Like I've said previously, I'm a HUGE fan of feta and I cannot get enough. It's my favorite cheese. No contest.

Be sure to try this recipe out! Especially if you live in the West and it's warm enough to grill. Such an odd winter!

Grilled Greek Chicken Gyro and Tzatziki Sauce
Adapted from Creole Contessa
2 large boneless chicken breasts
2 tsp. garlic, minced
1 tsp. lemon zest
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/4 plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. dried dill
6 pitas, warmed
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
tomato slices, red onion slices, optional

For the Tzatziki:
1 cup Greek yogurt, plain
1/2 cucumber, peeled and seeded
1 tsp. garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. dried dill

1. Combine garlic, lemon zest, yogurt, oil, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, pepper and dill in a medium bowl. Place chicken in bowl and coat with marinade. Refrigerate and marinate at least an hour.
2. To grill chicken, heat grill and cook about 8-10 minutes per side, until juices run clear and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Remove from grill and allow to rest at least 5 minutes.
To Prepare Tzatziki Sauce:
3. Grate seeded cucumber and combine with remaining ingredients in a bowl; mix well. Refrigerate until ready to use.

4. Slice chicken breasts into thin strips and serve in warmed pitas. Top with Tzatziki sauce and crumbled feta. Top with additional veggies if desired. 

Comments

  1. Rachelle,
    This looks amazingly yummy—I can't wait to try it someday! Can you tell I'm not the best at trying new recipes? I'm trying to get better at branching out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You'll have to try it, it's really easy!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts