Carmelitas - The Thin Version

These were made on a day that I was craving something sweet. I started looking on my Pinterest dessert board and knew I had to make them. I had all of the ingredients and knew my sweet tooth could be satisfied in under an hour.

While the original recipe calls for more ingredients making a much thicker, more decadent Carmelita, I had to have some portion control and didn't want to use an excessive amount of ingredients so I halved the recipe. I came out one happy camper.


Carmelitas
Adapted from Lulu the Baker
16 caramel squares, unwrapped
1/4 cup heavy cream
6 Tbsp. butter, melted
6 Tbsp. brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
½ tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1. Combine caramels and cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until completely smooth; set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, flour, oats and baking soda. Pat half of the oatmeal mixture into the bottom of an 8x8-inch pan.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove pan from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over crust. Pour caramel mixture over chocolate chips. Crumble remaining oatmeal mixture over caramel.
4. Return to oven and bake an additional 15-20 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting.

*A stint in the fridge will help them cool off if you're pinched for time. They shouldn't be served cold, but all of that molten caramel takes a long time to cool down. They should be stored and served at room temperature.

*To make a thicker more decadent version, simply double the amounts.

Comments

Popular Posts