Thursday, June 21, 2012

Copycat Arctic Circle Lime Rickey

So apparently, Arctic Circle is mostly a Utah thing with the exception of some locations in various western states, but when I was a kid Arctic Circle was the BEST and lime rickey's were BOMB.

Last weekend, Jordan and I were headed to a BBQ and our assignment was chips and drinks. {More on the chips later.} I wanted to do something different than bring the standard 2 liters of pop so I decided to whip up my own version of  a lime rickey.

I knew I needed Sprite, limes, some ice and grape syrup. The first three ingredients were obviously easy to find, but I didn't know where to buy the grape syrup/didn't want to spend too much on it.

So then good old Google came to the rescue and I found a recipe to make my very own snow cone syrup. Guys, there is a recipe for EVERYTHING out there. Seriously. 
 And I made myself a batch.
Oh the possibilties.
So here it is kids. A good old fashioned lime rickey that is equally as refreshing as Arctic Circle's in the comfort of your own home.

Copycat Arctic Circle Lime Rickey
Sprite or any lemon-lime pop
ice
fresh lime wedges
grape snow cone syrup

Grape Snow Cone Syrup
Source: AllRecipes
2 cups white sugar
1 cup water
1 (0.14 oz.) package Grape flavored drink mix (such as grape Kool-Aid)

In a saucepan, stir together the sugar and water. Bring to a boil and boil for about 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in the drink mix. Allow to cool and store in a container for pouring. 

Once the syrup has cooled, fill a glass with Sprite and add as much ice as desired. Pour 1-2 Tbsp. of grape syrup into the glass. Add more or less, depending on how much grape flavor you want. Squeeze a fresh lime wedge or two into the drink and throw the squeezed wedge into the drink for good measure. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I too grew up on Arctic Circle Lime Rickeys. We replicated them as well, but instead of using a snow cone syrup (we found some CHEAP at Walmart) I use a spoonful of partially thawed frozen grape juice concentrate, like Welch's. IT WAS SO MUCH BETTER than the syrup. Highly recommended to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like such a good idea! I'm going to have to try that. I can see why it would produce so much more grape flavor!

      Delete
  2. I lived in Oregon where we had Arctic Circle. No one understands how incredibly refreshing & delicious their lime rickeys were unless they had them. I've experienced major withdrawal over them lol! I bought grape snow cone syrup & attempted it more than once - maybe I was adding too much lime juice. During the warmer months I'll experiment more until I get it the way I remember...best summer drink on the planet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are the best! I almost wonder if the key at Arctic Circle is that the Sprite is a fountain drink. It must be the extra carbonation, but it is really refreshing

      Delete